World Within Without – part exhibition, part surreal theater, is an extraordinary show of large and small surreal artworks hosted by Surreal Vintage. First exhibited at the Landmark Arts Center – a hugely impressive, former church in Teddington, West London, this show is now destined for the North of England.
The first show showcased site-specific artworks that included;
- ‘Decoy Tank’ – a 20ft long painted canvas sculpture by the artist ‘G’, ‘Fallen Angel’
- An 18 ft tall interactive Edwardian woman inspired by the work of John Wyndham by scientartist Katie Keple (in collaboration with Mad Jack)
- Iain Broadley’s ‘Poor Quality Mystery Museum’
- A series of ‘Existence Souvenirs’ – holographic lenticular sculptures by Mad Jack
- Holographic lenticular prints from Apple Tart.
- Paintings inspired by dream imagery and adventures in the subconscious by ‘G’.
- ‘Surreal Corpse’ – animated digital projections by Moregg Legg.
- Sculptures and small paintings by internationally renowned artist Michael Challenger.
- A collection of ‘Breast Enlargements’ in wood and ceramic by Beverley Chapelhow.
- A mixed-media painting by Ade Munden.
- Surreal paintings exploring the very nature of creation, destruction and everything that comes between by James Oliver.
The exhibition was also enhanced by spontaneous surreal performances throughout the two event nights.
Also on show was the popular ‘Art Vendor’ machine from which signed, editioned artwork was purchased for the extraordinary price of only four pounds.
Audio ambience was provided by the very talented guitarist, ‘The Vicar’ and soundscapes by DJ, ‘The Psychedelic Milkman’. The evening was brought to a grand finale with a burlesque laser performance by Apple Tart.
Other special guest artists included:
‘The Cleaner’ and Mel Moon as the amazing ‘Madame Signale’ – the mobile phone fortune teller.